The 8D Association



Sutton Oak Locomotive Shed - 8G.

  OPENED     1880        
 COMPANY ON OPENING  LONDON & NORTH WESTERN RAILWAY
 CLOSED  19th June 1967
 COMPANY ON CLOSING  BRITISH RAILWAYS
 GRID REF SJ527941    




A good overall view of the shed and its facilities even though the shed was officially closed it was still being used for locomotive stabling and signing on for crews. Although steam is still the prominent type of traction the diesel shunter is the first indication of the massive changes that were only a short time away.
30th July 1967.
Photo by Jim Peden.
Reproduced with permission from the Industrial Railway Society.


Standing on the new 1937 60ft turntable is 76083 the two locos are awaiting coaling with the 
modern conveyor seen to their left.
Taken around 1960.
Photo by Richard Mercer.

The shed at Sutton Oak was opened in 1880 by the LNWR it was located between the stations of Sutton Oak and Peasley Cross. With the opening of the shed the LNWR could close two earlier sheds these being Clock Face built by the St Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway and St Helens Junction built by The Liverpool and Manchester Railway.

The shed was a 10 road dead end type with a 42ft turntable and a ramped coaling stage supporting a water tank.

 
The 1892 map shows the shed as built with the original 42ft turntable adjacent to the shed.


The shed layout after improvement had bee made under B.R. with the new 60ft turntable slightly north of the original and the addition to the canteen at the bottom corner.


The shed mainly housed freight locos but had a small allocation of pasenger locos these were used for the St Helens Shaw Street to Ditton Junction service, known locally as the Ditton Dodger. The allocation of locos to the shed rose to a peak in 1910 when there was around 50 locos on the books.


90390 being coaled at the side of the shed with the modern coaling machine.
1960's.
Photo from the Richard Mercer collection.

With the withdrawal of passenger services over the St Helens to Ditton line on 18th June 1952 the passenger locos migrated away.

The shed had seen many improvements in its lifetime some being in 1937 a new 60ft turntable was installed, in 1944 a new sand drying plant and in the 1950's the shed was re-roofed and a brick screen built on the entrance.

Once coaled 90390 makes its way off shed for another turn of duty.
1960's
Photo from the Richard Mercer collection.

The shed had also had many different shed codes over the years. In 1923 the LMS coded it 24 then under British Railways it was coded 10E from 1948-1955 then 10D until 1958 when it was grouped in the 8 district becoming 8G.

During the 1950's the shed had around 150 employees with 56 of these being drivers and firemen and 25 of them being cleaners.

Ex LMS 3F Tank Loco (Jinty) 47490 of Widnes Shed stands at Sutton Oak. The loco had been transferred from 8D and still bears the shedplate on its smokebox.
1960's.
Photographer unknown.

 Photo from The Richard Mercer Collection.



The end for Sutton Oak came with the Modernisation Plan. The shed closed on 19th June 1967 with the final loco leaving on 27th December 1967. Drivers, Firemen and Guards continued to book on at the shed until 1970. 

With the end of that the shed finally closed, but it was not the end for the building. Ex footballer Dave Whelan purchased the building and converted it into a Supermarket. The Whelan Group was later purchased by Morrisons and the building continued to be used up until 25th June 2000. The shed building was then demolished after a working life of 120 years and a new Morrisons built on the site.



The site of Sutton Oak shed in the 1980's when an extension to the original building had been built. The left hand signal is the fixed distant for Sutton Oak Junction and the right hand signal is the fixed distant for Ravenhead Junction.
9th April 1988.
Photo by David Ingham.
To view more of David's excellent and extensive Fickr photostream click here



       
The site of Sutton Oak Shed .
August 2011.
Photos by Paul Wright.



Further Information and used as source material.

Books.


Shed Side in South Lancashire and Cheshire by Kenn Pearce.

Footplate Cameraman by J R Carter.





Dedicated to promoting the history of the railways of South Lancashire and North Cheshire.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT