Widnes South opened on 1st March 1870 11 months after the Deviation line had opened on 1st April 1869 it was called Widnes at the time. With the opening the station near Waterloo crossing closed and all passenger and goods traffic were transferred there. The Deviation line had been constructed by the LNWR to ease traffic flow through Widnes. The platforms of the new station were raised on embankments and a booking office was provided at street level on Victoria Road. Widnes No 7 box was located at the east end of the Westbound platform. The station was re-named Widnes South on 5th January 1959 but with the withdrawal of the Ditton to Manchester Oxford Road passenger services in 1962 the writing was on the wall for the station. The station closed to passengers on 10th September 1962 but continued to be used for Rugby League specials until 1965. The station closed completely on 31st March 1969.
A great 1960's shot inside the main building at Widnes South
complete with gas lighting.
Photo courtesy of Halton Borough Council.
Reproduced with permission.
When the station had closed in 1969 the booking office was used as a car repair shop. Aptly
named Station Motors the building lay derelict after the shop closed and was
2nd January 1982.
Photo by John McCann.
Widnes South Eastbound platform looking west closed for over 20 years
but surprisingly intact.