The 8D Association

Ditton Junction to Weaver Junction.

Only three stations appear on this 8½ mile line.

Ditton Junction.

The first station closed by Railtrack opened 1st May 1871 with six platform faces and was re-built in conjunction with the electrification of the Liverpool to Weaver junction project in the 1960's when it was reduced to five platforms. The station officially closed on 27th May 1994 but had been in a state of neglect for many years.

Ditton Junction in 1957 looking towards Runcorn with the guard of a train heading in the Liverpool direction talking to the driver. The lack of signal arms on the posts indicates that the electrification of the line has begun and shortly the station will undergo fundamental changes. The high level booking office with its lantern style roof along with the platform buildings (to the left of the loco) will be replaced by a 'modern' set. With the covered stairways also being replaced with open pre-cast concrete stairs.
Photo by JCW Halliday

The Locomotive Club of Great Britain ran two tours on 5th and 12th February 1966 entitled the Push & Pull Farewell. Seen here during a photo stop in platform 1 with Ivatt 2-MT Class 2-6-0 no. 41286 at the head of the train. The main lines through the station have been electrified at this point with the 'modern' 1960's buildings having replaced the LNWR types.
Photo by Richard Mercer.

A direct comparison shot with the JCW Halliday picture above sowing the changes in station infrastructure that electrification of the route brought. The only surviving building on the station was the toilet block located in the centre of the platform. 58 035 is seen passing through the slow lines with a Toton to Garston export coal train.
11th May 1987.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.

Ditton Junction six years before closure. The station was in a state of 
neglect with only 4 trains stopping here each day.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.

Ditton Junction ten years after closure. The waiting room on platforms 3 & 4
have already been demolished as have the platform toilets.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.

By 2006 all traces of the street level booking office had been erased with the fenced off level section to the left of the steps marking its site.
30th July 2006.
Photo by Terry Callaghan. 

Looking towards Liverpool from a similar spot as the LCGB tour picture earlier. Nature is quickly taking over the platform remains with just the concrete pads marking out the location of the platform buildings.
30th July 2006.
Photo by Terry Callaghan.

For more information and pictures click here

Runcorn Station.

Opened 1st April 1869 along with the opening of the line Runcorn station has thrived and is as busy as ever. Now being run by Virgin Trains the station has been refurbished to a high standard. It has Virgin Pendolino expresses and London Midland locals calling at regular intervals.

Looking south from Runcorn in the 1960's sees a train arriving from London.
Photo by R W Mercer.

A classic shot of an AL1 electric loco at Runcorn station in the 1960's.
Photo by R W Mercer.

Having travelled on the service from Chester to Runcorn, summer Saturdays only 
Parliamentary train, 8D members get a chance to photograph 150 274
at the refurbished Runcorn station.
Photo by Paul Wright.

Sutton Weaver.

Opened with the line on 1st April 1869 the station did not even make nationalisation of the railways. Closed by the LMS to passengers on 30th November 1931 and to goods on 30th April 1942. Only the stationmasters house remains.

We have no picture of this station if you have and would like to share it please e-mail it to It will be published here and fully credited.

For more information and pictures click here 

Dedicated to promoting the history of the railways of South Lancashire and North Cheshire.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT