The 8D Association



The Liverpool and Manchester.

There have been 32 stations on the line since it opened on 15th September 1830.

Liverpool Lime Street.

Opened in 1836 and enlarged in 1845 - 51 the station is still a grand terminus today.The ugly 1960's shops built at the front have been demolished and this has given the station some of its character back. Work commenced on 30th September 2017 to provide two extra platforms, alterating some existing platforms, re-align some lines, pointwork and signalling which involved the abolition of Lime St Signal Box. The upgrade work was completed in the latter half of 2019 which meant the re-introduction of direct services to Glasgow and Edinburgh. This was the largest improvement works at the station since the 1845 - 51 extension was constructed.


Platform 5, Liverpool Lime St, BR 'Black 5' No 45305 awaiting to depart with 1T85 LCGB 'Lancastrian' Railtour. 6th April 1968. Photograph: John Corkill. (To see more of John's images, see: 'The Lads from Liverpool' Book, with Peter Hanson, published by Silver Link Publishing) 

Having worked Empty Coaching Stock from Edge Hill 45287 is seen at the buffer stops in Liverpool Lime Street. 20th April 1968. Photo by Les Fifoot.

Since the demolition of the 1960's shops which obscured the frontage of Lime Street for forty years the true beauty of the station has been revealed. 28th January 2013. Photo by Terry Callaghan.


A July 1982 image of the north train shed at Liverpool Lime Street with Platforms One to Six in view. In Sidings A, B and C there are 9 locomotives and 1 EMU stabled . Taken during a ASLEF strike day. Copyright: Doug Birmingham  


The new order at revised Liverpool Lime Street station in October 2019, A new Trans Pennine Express Class 397, No 397005 at Platform 4 (was 5) awaiting to depart with 5P57 Preston Croft Street Sidings 'driver training' ECS. Copyright: Doug Birmingham. 

Edge Hill.

With the opening of Lime Street Edge Hill lost its role as the Liverpool Terminus. This role can still be seen today though in the impressive 1830's station that survives. Virtually unchanged from then it is now one of the oldest railway stations in the country. The original station had opened with the commencement of passenger services on 17th September 1830. This station was rebuilt and the present one opened around 15th August 1836 and has now been functioning as a station for over 175 years. In the past the station had suffered, considerably, from a lack of basic maintenance recent years, it has much improved.


The ticket office building on platforms 1 and 2 is of a solid sandstone construction and would have been an impressive terminus in its day. Opened by 15th August 1836 these are now some of the oldest railway buildings in the country still being used for the purpose for which they were built. August 2016. Copyright: Doug Birmingham


The sadly now disused buildings on platforms 3 and 4 are well looked after and are as equally impressive as the ones on platforms 1 and 2. 21st February 2013. Photo by Terry Callaghan.

The two island platforms of Edge Hill were supplied with an access ramp each both of which are cobbled. This is the now disused ramp which gave access to platforms 3 and 4 in August 2016. Copyright: Doug Birmingham.

Taken in May 1966, BR Standard 7P, No 70021 passes Edge Hill Station with an Up service (1T54). The station canopies were still in place and in the background to the left of the train is old Carriage Shed. Copyright: John Corkill (image part of the 8A Rail Collection).


Travelling on the Up Fast line from Lime Street Station, in mainline livery, Class 87, No 87021 'Robert the Bruce' comes out of Lime Street cutting into Edge Hill Station with the Sleeper ECS for the nearby carriage sidings. 13th June 1988. Copyright: Doug Birmingham.

Wavertree Technology Park.

Opened in 2000 at a cost of £ 2 million the station takes its name from the business park which it serves. The park was built near to the site of the former coal concentration depot and Edge Hill (8A) steam shed. 


Arriving at Wavertree Technology Park Station, NorthernTrains Class 319, No 319374 on 2N56 12.00hrs Liverpool Lime St to Wigan North Western train. 13th July 2016. Copyright: Doug Birmingham.

Broadgreen.

Broadgreen station opened with the commencement of passenger services on 17th September 1830 and first appeared in timetables on 1st March 1831. The station was rebuilt by the LNWR when the line was quadrupled from Liverpool to a point east of Huyton station. A massive change for the station occurred in the 1970's with the construction of the M62 motorway close by. The station was rebuilt and reduced from four platform faces to two. A new ticket office was constructed in a 'modern' style and this is the station that we see today. On 5th March 2015 electric services began running from Liverpool to Manchester Victoria, and in due course toWigan NW, Preston and Blackpool.


Broadgreen Station taken in August 1969 when all four platforms and lines were still in place. The right had side of the station was swept away with the building of the M62 motorway in the mid 1970's. Photograph by J.A.Sommerfield


The platforms and station building at Broadgreen Station with the M62 motorway flyover visible in the background which occupies part of the original station site.  21st February 2013. Photo by Robert Callaghan.

Roby.

Roby opened with the commencement of passenger services on 17th September 1830 and appeared in the timetables from 1st March 1831. The station was totally rebuilt by the LNWR with the quadrupling of the line but was reduced to two platforms when the line was reduced to two tracks in the late 1970's. The unused platforms were infilled and the subway access was bricked up. In early 2015 the unused platforms had been re-instated and the double track formation laid throughout from Roby to Huyton station. 5th March 2015 saw the introduction of some electric services through the station when the third line was brought into use. The fourth line was brought into use once the Huyton Junction had been modified during late Autumn 2017. 


Taken from Bridge Road bridge which over looks Roby Station when the original tracks and buildings were still in place in April 1970. In the background, Derby Class 108 dmu approaches the station on the down fast with in the distance is Huyton Station. Photograph by J.A.Sommerfield.

A view showing the two down lines to Liverpool, platforms 1 & 2, the main station building and canopy fully refurbished. GBRf Class 66, No 66706 is on the rear of 6Z60 Doncaster to Tuebrook Sidings empty stone train. 13th October 2018. Copyright: Doug Birmingham


Across same platform as the previous image, this shows the two up lines on Platform 3 & 4, The two tall brick building house the lift shafts to make it compliant with todays disability regulations. Arriving on Platform 4, is Northern Class 319, No 319375 on 2F60 08.45hrs Liverpool Lime St to Wigan NW train. 17th April 2019. Copyright: Doug Birmingham 

Huyton.

Another of the original 1830's stations although reconstructed since then the 'new' buildings are still old and have some interesting features. One being that some of the stone is actually the stone sleepers from the original line.The buildings seen today are from the LNWR rebuilding period. The station was originally called Huyton Lane Gate but was known as Huyton Lane by 1839 with the Lane part of the name being gradually dropped by the LNWR around 1852. By late 2014 the first of the two new lines was brought into use with Huyton bus station and the BT exchange blocking the path of the second new line; during late 2016 work commenced on moving the bus station access road and by late 2017 it was completed and all four lines open to traffic.


Looking east, a general view of Huyton Station as it appeared in August 1970 with a DMU getting the signal for Prescot. Last than 10 years later the two lines and platforms on the left were swept away but reappeared in 2015 in a much change scene. Photograph by J.A.Sommerfield.


Taken in 1987, a Class 31 hauls a failed Class 47 on a Trans Pennine train heading to Liverpool Lime St is seen passing through Huyton Station. By this time, the main station building was looking a little dilapidated, along with the disapperance of the canopy too.  Photo by Terry Callaghan. 


Compare this with the 1970 image above, more or less by co-incidnece taken from the same position and much has changed. In Scot Rail livery, Class 47, No 47712 'Lady Diana Spencer' passes through on the down slow line, platform 2 on 0Z50 Wigan NW to Crewe route training. 12th March 2020. Copyright: Doug Birmingham


The main building of Huyton station is still functioning as a ticket office and waiting room as in this February 2013 view. Since then a lift shaft and buiding has been built in front of the building as part of the station improvements in connection of the electrification scheme.  Photo by Robert Callaghan.

Huyton Quarry.

Directly to the east of the junction with the Wigan line was the station of Huyton Quarry. It opened with the commencement of the passenger service on 17th September 1830 as Bottom of Whiston Incline but was renamed Huyton Quarry by November 1837. The station was to close 10 years after nationalisation of the railways on 15th September 1958 just two days short of its 128 year anniversary.


What looks like a LMS 'Black 5' going tender first, passes Huyton Quarry Station and Signal Box in 1946. In the meantime, a station staff member changes the light blub. The tracks on the left ultimately led onto the Willis Branch to Cronton Colliery. Copyright: Stations UK (supplied by the late J.A.Peden).

Whiston.

Opened in October 1990 Whiston has been another of the lines success stories with high passenger numbers and a frequent service between Liverpool, Manchester and Warrington. The station has ample car parking and a regular bus sevice.


The ticket office of Whiston station is of the usual modern design as are the brick built waiting shelters. 21st February 2013. Photo by Robert Callaghan.


DCR Class 56, No 56103 passes Whiston Station booking office on 6Z57 Chaddeston Sdgs to Carlisle Kingmoor empty wagons (via Liverpool Docks to collect some bogie tanks). The platforms are of a lightweight concrete build and accomodate 6 car multiple units. 4th November 2019. Copyright: Doug Birmingham

Rainhill.

A station famous in its own right mainly for the Rainhill Trials which were held here to determine the type of traction to be used on the worlds first inter city railway. Nearly as famous is the skew bridge which stands at the west end of the platform and is definitely worth a look. Fittingly British Rail decided that the final booked passenger steam services should run along this line and through this historic station.


BR 'Jubilee' No 45708 'Resolution' passes Rainhill Station on Yorkshire to Liverpool Lime Street train. Fortunately, the two station buildings in this image remain to this day. 19th March 1958. Photograph by  the late J.A. Peden.


The charming and well presented ticket office and waiting room of Rainhill station. 21st February 2013. Photo by Robert Callaghan.


An overall view of Rainhill Station taken from the east footbridge, looking towards the Skew Bridge as Trans Pennine Class 185, No 185110 on 1E66 09.12hrs Liverpool Lime St to Newcastle passes through. 12th June 2014. Copyright: Doug Birmingham. (This image appeared in the photographers book 'Merseyside Traction' which is freely available from booksellers) 


The famous Skew bridge at the west end of the station. 21st February 2013. Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The inscription in the bridge naming the Chairman of the railway and the resident engineer. 21st February 2013. Photo by Terry Callaghan.

Lea Green.

Lea Green station has stood on two sites in the past 180 years the first being a mile or so from Rainhill which opened on 1st March 1831. It had staggered platforms either side of the road over bridge that is Lowfield Lane. The station closed to passengers on 7th March 1955 and finally to goods on 15th September 1958. The station platforms were totally demolished and no trace remains the station masters house which stood in the station yard opposite the westbound platform still survives as a private residence. The new station opened on 17th September 2000 at a new site around ½ mile further east adjacent to Marshalls Cross Road and with its large car park and good bus links it is a very busy station today.


BR Standard 5MT, No 73194 passes the original Lea Green Station with an eastbound trans pennine train. This station had stagged platforms as seen in this image were the foot crossong connects to two platforms. The building on the left is old station masters house. Circa late 1950's. Photograph by Gerry Drought


The new Lea Green Station ticket office is located at ground level while the platforms are located below to the left of the building.  21st February 2013. Photo by Robert Callaghan.


A diverted Virgin Trains Pendolino set runs through Lea Green station, with the electrification showing that when the line via Ditton is closed trains, instead of buses, can still be run with minimal delay to the travelling public. 3rd May 2015. Photo by Jamie Callaghan.

St Helens Junction.

Opened around 1833 the station has contracted over the years with now only two platform faces the bay platforms on either side of the station were taken out of use many years ago. The station still has its LNWR buildings on the eastbound platform and the station masters house is in use as the station cafe. Since the line to Sutton Oak was lifted in the late 1980's the station is no longer a junction but still retains the suffix. Wires and masts now stretch through the station with electric passenger services having commenced on 5th March 2015.


St Helens Junction looking towards Manchester, the original buildings on platform 2 have been replaced by the bus shelter type. In the distance the steam locomotive which used to shunt the sidings of Bold Power Station and colliery can be seen at work. 1st December 1976. Photo by John Tolson. (Reproduced with permission from The Sankey Canal Restoration Society. To view the societies website click here )


On a cold frosty morning, BR 'Peak' Class 45, No 45134 arrives at St Helens Junction Station with 1E79 LIverpool Lime Street to Scarborough 'trans pennine' train. At the rear of the train, you are able to make out the junction for the SH&&RG line to St Helens Shaw St. 13th February 1985. Copyright: Doug Birmingham


Taken from the station car park which is on the bed of the line proceeding to the disused plaform on the left hand of the station building. Beyond that, the white buiding is the old Station masters house.  In the meantime a busy scene at St Helens Junction as EWS Class 60, No 60016 passes by with 6F80 Fidlers Ferry PS to Liverpool Bulk Terminal e/JNA hoppers whilst a Class 142 'Pacer' has arrived with a service to Warrington Bank Quay. 11th July 2003. Copyright: Doug Birmingham

Collins Green.

A station which first appeared in the timetable on 1st March 1831 it was a small station with two platform faces which served a small community. The station was closed by British Rail on 2nd April 1951 giving it a life of just over 120 years.


The site of Collins Green station no trace remains of the station and it is hard to believe one ever existed here. 23rd February 2013. Photo by Terry Callaghan.

Earlestown.

The station opened with the commencement of passenger services on 17th September 1830 and appeared as Viaduct station in the timetable of 1st March 1831. It was first listed in Bradshaw as Newton Junction and by 1852 had changed to Warrington Junction by 1861 it was being known as Earlestown junction until 5th June 1950 when the suffix was dropped. It is an interesting station mainly due to it having the original 'Tudor style' buildings on platform 2. These are sadly no longer in use but were cleaned and refurbished externally for the Rainhill Cavalcade in the 1980's. Also of interest is the layout of the station it is formed of a large triangle with junctions in the west and east towards Winwick. The Westbound cut off platforms were lightly used for many years, although recently one of these has been brought back into use for Liverpool to Warrington trains as a bi-directional line. The station is well served with trains to Liverpool, Manchester, Chester and beyond along the North Wales coast.


A great close up picture of the Mock Tudor main buildings on platforms 2 & 3. The cut off lines to Warrington can be seen running to the right of the building with the goods lines behind platform 4. An interesting feature of the canopy on the Liverpool Manchester line is the addition of glass panels presumably to allow some light to platform level. The position of these panels can be seen in the next picture. May 1963. From the D K Jones collection. (Supplied by T I A transport image archive).


A February 2013 view of the sadly unused but well maintained building on platform 2. Photo by Robert Callaghan.


Class 45 'Peak' No 45130 hauls a diverted service along the spur towards Winwick. These platforms were numbers three and four originally but when the service between Warrington and St Helens Shaw Street was withdrawn they were closed. The old platform three has since been re-opened. April 1987. Photo by Terry Callaghan.


In new Railfreight grey livery, Class 31, No 31412 passes the LNWR built ticket office on Platform One at Earlestown Station with 1T30 Liverpool Lime St to  Manchester Victoria 'Footex'. 7th May 1989. Copyright: Doug Birmingham


Taken from Junction Lane bridge, you use to get a reasonable overview of Earlestown Station, that was until the advent of the electrification on this section. In this view, Class 47, No 47355 passes the station with a Manchester to Liverpool return 'Footex'. 7th May 1989. Copyright: Doug Birmingham. 


Platforms 4 and 5 were the Grand Junction platforms for services to the North and London. These services stopped calling here when the cut off line from Winwick Junction to Golbourne Junction was completed which accelerated timings for the London to Scotland express services. 23rd February 2013. Photo by Robert Callaghan.

Newton Le Willows.

The station opened with the commencement of passenger services on 17th September 1830 and was called simply Newton the station was renamed Newton Le Willows on 14th June 1888. With some of the best preserved early railway buildings which date from 1840. The station was once a main calling point for the Anglo Scottish express trains to make connections with Liverpool and Manchester this all ended with the opening of the cut off line via Red Bank. The station still had an important role though as a Motor Rail terminal for many years and evidence of this can still be seen today. Another railway link is McCorquodales the printers adjacent to the station which printed copies of Bradshaw and latterly timetables for British Rail. Network Rail announced plans in 2016 for the 'transformation' of the station including a new booking hall to the south of the line with extra car parking spaces, a bus interchange, new subway, toilet facilities and step free access to the platforms. This was completed in 2019 with the original booking office building still in place and restored.


The forecourt and well preserved ticket office of Newton Le Willows. 23rd February 2013. Photo by Robert Callaghan.


The station buildings at platform level. 23rd February 2013. Photo by Robert Callaghan.


A replica of the tablet from the Huskisson memorial is at the top of the access stairs for Platform One. 23rd February 2013. Photo by Terry Callaghan.

Parkside 1st site.

Immediately after passing the junction to Preston and the North would have stood the first Parkside station. Infamous for being the place of the opening day accident which claimed the life of William Huskisson M.P. a memorial can be seen close to the station site from passing trains. The station here opened with the line in 1830 but had a short life for passengers being closed in 1839. The station did remain open as a luggage station but was closed by 1st May 1878 when the second station closed.


Taken from the Thomas Berry prints commissioned for publicity purposes by the owners of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway. The picture was re issued in the form of an LNWR postcard. Entitled Railways in the Thirties it shows the rudimentary facilities provided for passengers at Parkside station with a Rocket style loco taking on water at the station. November 1904. From the Terry Callaghan collection.

Parkside 2nd site. 

Opened in 1839 to replace the first station the second was only a matter of a few hundred yards east of the first. This was due to the new cut off line from the West Coast eastbound toward Manchester therefore more trains could call there. With the station being situated in an area with a low population there was never any real chance of it generating much traffic and it was closed on 1st May 1878.


BR Class 58, No 58042 'Ironbridge Power Station' is seen hauling a Pathfinders Railtour past the site of the second Parkside station. 22nd June 1987. Photo by Terry Callaghan.

This concludes the stations within the ten mile radius of 8D shed more information of the other stations on the line towards Manchester is available on the main
  LNWR Liverpool to Manchester page of the site.








Dedicated to promoting the history of the railways of South Lancashire and North Cheshire.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT