The 8D Association



Ditton Junction to Weaver Junction

Stations and Signal Boxes

STATIONS

Only three stations appear on this section of the 8½ mile line.

Ditton Junction.

The first station closed by Railtrack (now Network Rail) opened 1st May 1871 with six platform faces and was re-built in conjunction with the electrification of the Liverpool to Weaver junction project in the 1960's when it was reduced to five platforms. The station officially closed on 27th May 1994 but had been in a state of neglect for many years.



Ditton Junction in 1957 looking towards Runcorn with the guard of a train heading in the Liverpool direction talking to the driver. The lack of signal arms on the posts indicates that the electrification of the line has begun and shortly the station will undergo fundamental changes. The high level booking office with its lantern style roof along with the platform buildings (to the left of the loco) will be replaced by a 'modern' set. With the covered stairways also being replaced with open pre-cast concrete stairs. Photo by JCW Halliday


The Locomotive Club of Great Britain ran two tours on 5th and 12th February 1966 entitled the Push & Pull Farewell. Seen here during a photo stop in platform 1 with Ivatt 2-MT Class 2-6-0 no. 41286 at the head of the train. The main lines through the station have been electrified at this point with the 'modern' 1960's buildings having replaced the LNWR types. Photo by Richard Mercer.


A direct comparison shot with the JCW Halliday picture above sowing the changes in station infrastructure that electrification of the route brought. The only surviving building on the station was the toilet block located in the centre of the platform. 58 035 is seen passing through the slow lines with a Toton to Garston export coal train. 11th May 1987. Photo by Terry Callaghan.

A 1988 view of Ditton Junction Station six years before closure. The station was in a state of 
neglect with only 4 trains stopping here each day. Photo by Terry Callaghan.

Ditton Junction ten years after closure and taken in 2004. The waiting room on platforms 3 & 4

have already been demolished as have the platform toilets. Photo by Terry Callaghan.


The closed Ditton Junction Station from the down fast platform looking towards the main station building on the bridge and  heading to Runcorn. 18th June 1999. Copyright: Doug Birmingham

By 2006 all traces of the street level booking office had been erased with the fenced off level section to the left of the steps marking its site. 30th July 2006. Photo by Terry Callaghan. 


Looking towards Liverpool from a similar spot as the LCGB tour picture earlier. Nature is quickly taking over the platform remains with just the concrete pads marking out the location of the platform buildings. 30th July 2006. Photo by Terry Callaghan. (For more information and pictures on the station, click here )

Runcorn Station.

Opened 1st April 1869 along with the opening of the line Runcorn station has thrived and is as busy as ever. Now being run by Avanti West Coast the station has been refurbished to a high standard. It has Avanti (ex Virgin) Pendolino expresses, London Northwestern and Transport for Wales trains calling at regular intervals.


A classic shot of an AL1 electric loco at Runcorn station in the 1960's. Photo by R W Mercer.


Former Virgin Thunderbird Class 57, No 57316 on 1Z59 06.47hrs London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street 'Grand National' Northern Belle at Runcorn Station. The locomotive is owned by West Coast Railways and this was the first occasion WCR had operated the Northern Belle since transfer from DRS. 14th April 2018. Copyright: Doug Birmingham


Having travelled on the service from Chester to Runcorn, summer Saturdays onlyParliamentary train at that time (2011), 8D members get a chance to photograph No 150274 at the refurbished Runcorn station. Photo by Paul Wright.


In West Midlands livery, Class 350, No 350119 arrives at the station with a late afternoon Liverpool Lime St to Birmingham New St train. The station buidings are rather simple affairs being of box type construction. In the background is the Jubilee road bridge under refurbishment. 10th August 2018. Copyright: Doug Birmingham.


Class 150, No 150245 departing Runcorn Station with a 'Transport for Wales' train being 1B17 Liverpool Lime St to Chester operating via the Halton Curve. In the background is another Class 150, No 15213 just arrived on the reverse of the above service. On the right is the stations multi storey car park built on the site of the old warehouse and sidings. 19th Septenber 2019. Copyright: Doug Birmingham

Sutton Weaver.

Opened with the line on 1st April 1869 the station did not even make nationalisation of the railways. Closed by the LMS to passengers on 30th November 1931 and to goods on 30th April 1942. Only the stationmasters house remains.  (For more information and pictures on the station,click here ) 

We have no picture of this station if you have and would like to share it please contact us on 8d.association at gmail.com. It will be published here and fully credited.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SIGNAL BOXES

A section covering the signal boxes that on this section of line but with the exception of two signal boxes, one of which is non operational, they have all disappeared. To view the Ditton Junction boxes, please refer to the Garston & Warrington Railway section on this website.

Runcorn 

Further information is sort of the the original signal box but was known to be timber built on a gantry. The present signal box was built in 1939 and opened in January 1940 by the LMS with specifications to Air Raid Percautions (ARP), being one of the earliest in the country to this design. It is located at the south end of the station and controls the main line as well as access to the Folly Lane Branch.


Runcorn Signal Box has a Lever frame consisting of 46 levers and has now been Grade 2 listed.  5th July 1992. Copyright: Doug Birmingham.

Halton Junction

The first signal box is understood to have opened in 1872 by the LNWR to a Saxby & Farmer design and located to the north of the junction on the up side of the line. In July 1897, a new box was built to a LNWR Type 4 design and located at the junction of the Halton Curve line and the London mainline. The box was equiped with a  25 Lever LNWR Tumbler frame. The Signal Box lasted until May 2018 when the signalling of the line was transferred to the Manchester Rail Operating Centre and it was ultimately demolished. 

For further information on the Halton Curve line , please see this link.


Halton Junction Signal Box as seen through the fence on the up side of the mainline. The Halton Curve to Frodsham Junction is behind the box. 29th May 1997. Copyright: Doug Birmingham








Dedicated to promoting the history of the railways of South Lancashire and North Cheshire.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT