The 8D Association
Journey of a Railway Signalman
8D Archive on Flickr
The On Shed Archive
On Shed 2011
On Shed 2012
On Shed 2013
On Shed 2014
On Shed 2015
On Shed 2016
The Railway & Correspondence Travel Society Events
Site Visits and Field Trips 2016
Ethelfleda bridge pictures
Hospital Branch Map
Fiddlers Ferry visit
Blackpool Tram Trip gallery
Site Visits and Field Trips 2015
Site Visits and Field Trips 2014
Site Visits and Field Trips 2013
Intersection Bridge to Reginald Rd Bridge Feature
Halton Miniature Railway Special Feature
Allerton Depot Visit Special Feature
Site Visits and Field Trips 2012
Helsby to Ellesmere Port Special Feature
Ferry Go Round Special Feature
Site Visits and Field Trips 2011
Edge Hill Locomotive Shed 8A
Edge Hill 8A in pictures
Warrington Dallam and Arpley Locomotive Shed 8B
Speke Junction Locomotive Shed 8C
Widnes Locomotive Shed 8D
8D Shed Commemorative Page
Sutton Oak Locomotive Shed 8G
The St Helens & Runcorn Gap Railway
The St Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway in pictures
The LNWR Widnes Deviation
The LNWR Deviation in Pictures
The Liverpool & Manchester LNWR
The Liverpool and Manchester LNWR in Pictures
The Cheshire Lines Committee CLC
The Cheshire Lines Committee CLC in Pictures
GC&MR Joint Widnes Line (The Widnes Loop)
The Birkenhead Joint Railway
The Birkenhead Joint Railway in Pictures
LNWR Ditton Jct to Weaver Jct
Garston & Warrington Railway The Low Level
The Low Level Then and Now
The Low Level in Pictures
The Willis Branch Cronton Colliery
The Willis Branch 1969 Journey by J C James
The 15 Guinea Special
The LUR and LNWR Wigan to Huyton line
Industrial and Private Railways
ICI Folly Lane branch
Pilkington Brothers St Helens
John Hutchinsons West Bank Dock Estate
The Lancashire Coalfield
NCB Lea Green
NCB Bold Colliery
The SH & RGR
The L & M
The Birkenhead Joint
The GC & MR Joint
Ditton Junction to Weaver Junction
The Low Level Widnes to Arpley
The St Helens and Runcorn Gap Railway
The Low Level Speke to Arpley
The Liverpool to Manchester LNWR
The Cheshire Lines Committee
The Birkenhead Joint Warrington to Mickle Trafford
The GC & MR Joint boxes
LNWR/LUR Prescot to Garswood boxes
Edge Hill 8A in pictures.
During the 1960's a group of three friends from the Widnes area started to travel the network of the north west recording the last days of steam. The photographic record they made was passed to the Widnes Historic Railway Society which was formed in the 60's. Unfortunately the Historic Society closed when membership declined towards the end of the last century. Richard Mercer who is the 8D Association archivist was a member of the group of three and of the society has held onto this collection of photographs which now forms part of the Richard Mercer Collection. During a recent look through the collection the following shots of 8A towards the end of its working life emerged.
A good overall view of the front of the shed the decline of the shed's allocation is evident with only a couple of locos on view.
A pair of Stanier 4-6-0 Black 5's stand at the front of the shed with 44986 in steam.
The shed on this visit is full of locos and Jinty 47493 complete with 8A shed plate awaits its next turn of duty in the sunshine. The Fowler designed 3F was built at the Vulcan Foundry, Newton Le Willows and released to traffic during February 1928. From the mid 1950's the loco was based in the north west becoming an 8A loco during September 1965 it was to be its last shed being withdrawn during December 1966. The loco was preserved and is currently operational at the Spa Valley Railway.
A pair of Stanier Black 5 Class 4-6-0's with a Stanier 8F Class 2-8-0 accompanied by an unidentified loco sporting a Fowler designed tender standing outside the shed.
Armstrong and Whitworth built Black 5 Class 4-6-0 standing beneath the impressive twin track coaling stage at 8A. The loco 45156 has lost its Ayrshire Yeomanry nameplates at this stage and would find fame hauling 1T85 the Lancastrian Railtour from Liverpool Lime Street on 20th April 1968, being turned out from 8A in near ex-works condition. The loco was delivered new during July 1935 and would remain in service until August 1968 the loco was swiftly cut up during December 1968.
Armstrong and Whitworth built Black 5 Class 4-6-0 number 45284 standing over the ash pit at the front of the shed. The loco was released into traffic during December 1936 and withdrawn off 8A during May 1968 being cut up during August 1968.
Fowler designed 3F Jinty Class 0-6-0T standing inside the shed. Built by the North British Locomotive Company of Glasgow and released to traffic during August 1926 the loco would be withdrawn during December 1966 and cut up during April 1967.
Another of the Edge Hill based Fowler 3F Jinty locos 47406 unofficially known as The King Of Edge Hill standing between duties at the front of the shed. The locos unofficial nameplate can be seen on the water tank towards the cab door. Vulcan built during December 1926 and withdrawn forty years later during December 1966 the loco would go on to be preserved eventually ending up at the Great Central Railway where it is currently operational.
A Stanier Black 5 Class 4-6-0 stands alongside Stanier 8F Class 2-8-0 which is in steam.
Riddles designed Standard 9F Class 2-10-0 seen here at the front of the shed. Seen to many as a crime these locos were still being built during the B.R. Modernisation Plan and several had very short service lives. 92123 here was delivered new from Crewe Works on 31st March 1957 and would be withdrawn just over 10 years later during October 1967. The loco would be cut up at T W Ward of Beighton on 28th February 1968.
Two shots of Crewe built Black 5 Class 4-6-0 outside the shed in steam and coupled to another member of the class, both locos are coaled and ready for a days work. 44964 is the rear loco and was new from Crewe during July 1946 it was withdrawn during October 1967 and cut up by Cashmores of Great Bridge during March 1968.
Spotted from the shed running from the Grid Iron is Crewe built Britannia Class 4-6-2 number 70039 Sir Christopher Wren. The difference in the ground level of the shed and the surrounding lines is clearly evident. The loco was new to traffic on 9th February 1953 and withdrawn on 23rd September 1967 and cut up on 25th January 1968.
Along with many other sheds at the time locos withdrawn from service were dumped in sidings awaiting disposal as is the case with this Stanier designed 8F Class 2-8-0.
Another withdrawn 8F Class 2-8-0 loco awaiting disposal.
Dedicated to promoting the history of the railways of South Lancashire and North Cheshire.
Community Web Kit provided free by BT